Click to Home
Go To Search
Urban Forest
San Jose Home
Special Stuff
Additional Information
Contact the Recycling Hotline at (408) 924-5453 or (800) 533-8414 for information about recycling unusual materials not mentioned below.

Household Hazardous Waste
You can schedule a free disposal appointment for hazardous materials such as batteries, cleaning fluids, fluorescent bulbs, paint, pesticides, fertilizers, pool chemicals, solvents, medical waste, and mercury thermometers. Call (408) 299-7300 or visit the Santa Clara County Hazardous Waste site to schedule a free appointment.

Or find local drop-off collection locations for the following common household hazardous wastes:
You can also check our events calendar periodically for household hazardous waste, electronic waste, expired medicine, or mercury thermometer recycling events.

See Santa Clara County's list of Approved Recyclers of Electronic Waste for current electronics recyclers for each city in Santa Clara County.

Consumer electronics, batteries, fluorescent bulbs and mercury-containing products are called Universal Wastes. It is against the law to dispose of these items in your garbage or recycling cart. Your carts will not be collected if these items are found inside. To recycle Universal Wastes, see the Household Hazardous Waste section above, or contact the Recycling Hotline. Utilize the Junk Pickup program as another option to recycle large electronics such as televisions or computer monitors.

Plastic Bags
Empty plastic bags are no longer accepted in your home recycling cart. They are expensive to recycle, require a tremendous amount of energy to produce, and are common litter items that threaten wildlife and pollute our creeks and the Bay. Return clean, empty plastic bags to your local grocery store for recycling.

Polystyrene Foam
Polystyrene foam is no longer accepted in your home recycling cart. It is expensive to recycle, requires a tremendous amount of energy to produce, and is a common litter item that threatens wildlife and pollutes our creeks and the Bay. Place polystyrene foam in your garbage cart.

Construction Debris
The City of San José has a Construction & Demolition Diversion (CDD) Program to ensure that construction and demolition materials, for sites that have been issued a building permit, can be recovered or reused instead of ending up in a landfill. For more information about CDD, visit the Construction and Demolition page. This website also lists CDD-certified facilities that will recover or recycle construction materials.

Check our website listing of City of San José Construction and Demolition and Residential Clean-out Haulers for information on debris box rentals.

Holiday Tree
Recycle your holiday tree on your collection day from December 26th throughout the month of January each year.

Natural and flocked holiday trees will be collected for recycling on the same day as your garbage, recycling, and yard trimmings. You don't need to attach an "Extra Garbage" sticker, but you do need to remove tinsel, decorations, and the tree stand. Trees should then be cut into five-foot lengths and placed in the street 1 foot from the curb and 5 feet from your garbage and recycling carts and parked vehicles.

If you live in an apartment, townhouse, or condo, ask your property manager if special arrangements have been made for recycling holiday trees on-site.